Saturday, August 13, 2005

Job and Flat

Boy, when things happen in London, they tend to happen quite quickly! For example:

Work-wise
Mon morn : phone call from my recruitment agent about a potential job at ABN Amro
Mon afternoon : interview at ABN Amro
Weds morning: was told i got the job
Following Mon (15th): will start work

It’s a 6 month contract, as part of the project management team responsible for the implementation of their Sarbanes-Oxley compliance project (“SOX”). Luckily I don’t have to do any of the actual compliance work, but more the project management, reporting and analysis. Promises to be a bit boring I think (though you never know). BUT the pay is quite good, and it’s not bad for a first job in London, after which I’ll have “UK experience” under my belt. I’m planning to get a highly skilled migrant visa as soon as I can, since the much of more interesting and career-progressive work seem to involve permanent positions, and it’s very hard to get a perm job on a working holiday visa.

Flat-wise
Weds evening: went to look at a potential flat, and expressed interest in living there
Frid evening: got an offer to live there, which i accepted
Following Fri (19th): will be moving in

It's a really gorgeous flat, right in central London and about a 3 min walk from the Marble Arch tube station ... to see it on the map, click here ... note it's proximity to Hyde Park (green space at the bottom of the map) and Oxford Street (good for shopping ... though p'raps that's not such a good thing :P). It's also 10 mins from Selfridges, a very nice department store (and where the Fendi handbag i'm lusting after is currently lives). I'll be sharing with 3 other girls, one of whom I've met (Sara) who works at LEK (mgt consulting), and two others whom I haven't yet met, but they sound nice and are friends of Sara's so I'm assuming they're not weirdo freaks. The only down-side is that my room is quite small, but then again, i guess that's the reason i can actually affort to live in such a nice place (rent in London, particularly central London is expensive!). Will post some pics after I move in.

So glad that the trials of apartment-hunting is now over. It's been a bit difficult since I was determined to find a place centrally located, many of which weren't very nice. So when you do finally find a nice place, it would of course, be in high demand. Interestingly, I actually got more stressed out about the "flat-share" interviews, than about my job-interviews. Can't wait to get off the air mattress (comfy as it is) and to stop living out of my suitcase and get my own closet (not that Reen hasn't been hugely self-sacrificing in giving up a portion of her hanging space ... thanks dear!).

1 Comments:

Blogger catty said...

hey Linhy!

Congrats on the job and congrats on the apartment! So glad ur finally moving out of Reens so she can spare up the air mattress for me - haH!... that's if it's still inflatable when I eventually haul ass over there. have a great first day work etc etc and keep us posted on how its all going!

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home