Saturday, July 02, 2005

La semana pasada (the past week)

I actually did a few things other than tango and spanish classes this week!

Met Gaby and some of her friends (Gaby's the one on the very left ... she looks 16, but she's actually older than I am!). She's is a good friend of my Argentinian friend Carolina (who I met on previous travels). After dinner, I accompanied them to a birthday party a friend of theirs was having at a bar/club. The music varied from latino to house/dance to 80's to rock n roll (they even played Summer Loving from Grease at some point!). It was quite fun to dance around and it made a nice change from tango.


Last Sunday I visited the Recoleta cemetary, where the very upper of the upper crust Argentinian families bury their dead. It's very surreal.

Some of the tombs (and these aren't even the grandest ones!)


Evita's tomb

Apparently the elite families very much resent the fact that she's buried in this most exclusive of cemetaries.

Went to see some ballet at the Theatro Colon. It's a really beautiful old theatre.

This is how it looks during the day.


It's also very grand on the the inside, which you can't really tell from this photo.


The dancers. Still can't get over how flexible, graceful and balanced they are are.


Afternoon tea (merienda) at Cafe Tortini. It's the most famous cafe in the city, been around over 100 years and was frequented (back in the day) by famous artists, authors and politicians. The waiters wear bow ties, and it's all very posh.


Impromptu dance lesson at Tango Hogar (where I'm staying). Oscar, Norma and myself were teaching three of the guys who were staying here some basic tango.


Dance class at Roberto Hererra

This is me and Orlando (a fellow student). He and Adriana (his partner) are tango teachers from Colombia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home